Regulatory Action for The Responsible Beverage Service Training Program Act of 2017
Date: October 18, 2019
OAL Notice File Number: Z-2019-0730-06
Download a printable copy of Notice of Modifications and 15 day Comment Period by clicking the PDF download button.
Notice of Modification to Text of Proposed Regulations
Pursuant to the requirements of Government Code section 11346.8(c), and section 44 of Tittle 1 of the California Code of Regulations, the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control is providing notice of changes that have been made to the text of the proposed addition of Title 4 of the California Code of Regulations Title 4 sections 160(b)(9), 161, 163(a)(2)(B) and (c)(2), 164(g)(9), 166(k), 169(c), and 170(b)(5) and (k).
The proposal to add California Code of Regulations Title 4 sections 160-173 was originally noticed to the public on August 9, 2019. The proposed addition was subject to hearing on October 11, 2019. At the hearing, changes to the text of the addition of California Code of Regulations Title 4 sections 160-173 were proposed and considered. Specifically, the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control has made the following changes to the proposed regulations:
- Modifying the manages or supervises definition in section 160(b)(9)
- Affirming that the curriculum standards for RBS training courses in sections 162-166 will not add new duties or change existing duties to licensees concerning the service of alcoholic beverage for consumption to patrons.
- Modifying the term “standard drink” to include the industry term “alcoholic drink equivalent.”
- Limiting the scope of cited laws that do not pertain to licensees.
- Limiting the personal private information provided to the department’s online certificate database for registration to better protect privacy.
- Automate and increase the amount of notifications to licensees and alcohol servers of the expiration of an alcohol server certification.
The necessity of each of these changes is explained in depth in the Addendum to the Initial Statement of Reasons published concurrently with this notice.
A copy of the full text of the regulation with the proposed changes indicated is attached for your review. Additions to the originally proposed language appear in italic underlined text and deletions are shown in strike though.
Any interested person may submit a written statement relating to the modified language during the public comment period from October 18, 2019 and November 4, 2019. The written comment period will close at 12:00 p.m. on November 4, 2019. Submit written comments to:
The Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
3927 Lennane Drive, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834
Comments may also be submitted by email to RBSTPComments@abc.ca.gov.
All written comments received by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control by 12:00 pm November 4, 2019, which pertain to the indicated changes ,will be reviewed and responded to by the Department’s staff as part of the compilation of the rulemaking file. Please limit your comments to the proposed modifications to the text which will appear in italic underlined text or in strike though.
Questions concerning the proposed addition may be addressed to Robert de Ruyter at (916) 419-8958 or at Robert.deRuyter@abc.ca.gov. If Robert de Ruyter is not available, questions concerning the proposed amendment may be directed to Sarah Easter at (916) 928-7627 or Sarah.Easter@abc.ca.gov.
Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
October 18, 2019