Prospective and current ABC licensees will find helpful information and resources regarding ABC licenses/permits.
Lookup A License
Search publicly available information on existing, pending, and former ABC licenses.
Transfer or Change a License
For persons or entities seeking to transfer or change their existing ABC license.
Weekly, monthly, and annual license data, including license searches by geographic location.
Find the forms you need to complete your ABC license application or license renewal.
A list of the most common ABC license types, ordered by number. Each one includes a short description.
Licensing Online Services
Manage your ABC business anywhere, anytime with ABC’s licensing online services. Create a user account to manage a license, renew a license, or manage an RBS roster.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the types of retail licenses?
- On-Sale General-authorizes the sale of all types of alcoholic beverages: namely, beer, wine and distilled spirits, for consumption on the premises, and the sale of beer and wine for consumption off the premises.
- Off-Sale General-authorizes the sale of all types of alcoholic beverages for consumption off the premises in original, sealed containers.
- On-Sale Beer and Wine-authorizes the sale of all types of wine and malt beverages (e.g., beer, porter, ale, stout and malt liquor) for consumption on and off the premises.
- Off-Sale Beer and Wine-authorizes the sale of all types of wine and malt beverages for consumption off the premises in original, sealed containers.
- On-Sale Beer-authorizes the sale of malt beverages for consumption on and off the premises (Sections 23393, 23394, 23396 and 23399).
What beverages may the holder of an on-sale license sell for consumption off the licensed premises in original, sealed containers?
Unless restricted by special license conditions, on-sale general and on-sale beer and wine licensees may sell all types of wine and malt beverages.
Unless restricted by special license conditions, on-sale beer licensees may sell malt beverages. The privilege of selling distilled spirits to-go comes only with an off-sale general license (Section 23401).
Can any person obtain an alcoholic beverage license?
ABC may refuse to issue a license to any person who has violated the ACT, has a disqualifying criminal record, or is otherwise disqualified.
When must licenses be renewed?
It is the responsibility of the licensee to renew his license whether or not he has received a renewal notice from ABC.
All licenses may be renewed by paying the required renewal fee before the license expires.
Following the expiration of a license, the licensee may legally operate for an additional 60 days during which time the license may be renewed by paying the renewal fee and a 50% penalty. If the renewal fee and penalty fee has not been paid within 60 days of the expiration of a license, the license is canceled and the licensee may not exercise any privileges of the license. The licensee does have and additional 30 days in which to reactivate the license by paying the renewal fee and a 100% penalty. If the penalty and renewal fee are not paid by the end of the 30th day following cancellation, the license is revoked. (Section 24048)