Coronavirus (COVID-19) Updates

The California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) is committed to public safety and providing the very best customer service possible. We are aware that this pandemic has had very real and immediate impacts on businesses, community-based organizations, and local government agencies we serve and work with. Because the stakes are so high, we understand that we need to be as flexible as we can during this very difficult phase of confronting this virus.

See below for contact information and frequently asked questions.

Subscribe to Updates

Keep up to date with the latest updates from ABC by clicking the Subscribe button.

Subscribe to Updates

Keep up to date with the latest updates from ABC by clicking the Subscribe button.

Fee Waiver Included in Governor’s Proposed Budget

On January 5, 2021, Governor Gavin Newsom previewed his Equitable Recovery for California’s Businesses and Jobs plan, the business and workforce recovery elements of his 2021-22 Proposed Budget that will help California through the COVID-19 Pandemic…

read more

2021 Renewal Payment Extension

ABC licensees paying annual renewal fees have been given a 30-day grace period. The announcement comes after Governor Gavin Newsom signed an executive order that will provide tax, regulatory, and licensing extensions for businesses…

read more

Hearings Before the Administrative Hearing Office

In response to the Regional Stay At Home Orders to address the COVID-19 pandemic, all Administrative Hearings of the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control will be conducted by video conference until further notice to ensure the safety of all participants…

read more

Regional Stay At Home Order

On December 3, 2020, Governor Gavin Newsom issued a Regional Stay At Home Order to protect the health and well-being of all Californians and to continue facilitating a consistent approach across the state to slow the spread of COVID-19…

read more

Limited Stay At Home Order

On November 19, 2020, Governor Newsom announced that a Limited Stay At Home Order (Order) would go into effect in counties in the purple (widespread) tier (Tier 1, Blueprint for a Safer Economy), beginning at 10:00 pm on Saturday November 21, 2020…

read more


Additional information may be obtained by contacting:

Alcoholic Beverage Control
3927 Lennane Drive, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95834

Email us at
Call (916) 419-2500

Frequently Asked Questions

Important Notice: All provisions of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, including licensing requirements, the prohibition against selling alcoholic beverages to minors and obviously intoxicated patrons, and tied-house and trade practice restrictions, remain in effect and subject to enforcement unless the Department has provided express notice that specific provisions will not be enforced. The Department has issued a Notice of Regulatory Relief, as well as guidance on Governor Newsom’s executive orders. These can be found on the Department’s website and should be consulted in conjunction with these frequently asked questions and responses.

These frequently asked questions are intended to respond to some of the most frequently asked questions that have arisen since the beginning of the COVID-19 crisis. It is subject to modification at any time. Please check back periodically for updates. You are encouraged to subscribe to updates.

Does a police chief, sheriff, mayor, or other local official have the authority to suspend the enforcement of state law?

No. A police chief, sheriff, mayor, or other local official may have the authority to suspend local ordinances and local conditions on business licenses, but only the state can suspend the enforcement of state laws. Accordingly, all licensees should follow the Notice of Regulatory Relief, because any licensee in violation of its terms of suspension of enforcement may be prosecuted criminally or administratively. For example, if the Department directs a licensee to cease selling drinks to-go or delivering alcoholic beverages that they would not normally be authorized to deliver, that licensee must immediately do so.

Do ABC licensees follow local orders if they are different than state orders?

If a licensee believes there are conflicts in orders issued by the state and those issued by local authorities, the safest approach is to follow the most restrictive order until clarification is issued.

Is there a mandatory closure for the bars and restaurants everywhere?

For public safety purposes, the Governor’s Office has recommended the closure of certain license types where people congregate and social distancing does not typically occur, including bars (On-Sale Public Premises).  Restaurants (Bona-Fide Eating Places) should cease all dine-in eating and drinking. Check with local county and city jurisdictions as they may have stricter parameters.

It is recommended that hotel licensees follow the restaurant guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health (no dine-in service; take-out only). 

Are bars allowed to sell alcoholic beverages to-go?

Under current law, all bars and restaurants holding ABC licenses are permitted to sell alcoholic beverages in manufacturer, pre-packaged, and pre-sealed containers, to consumers for consumption off the licensed premises. They may sell only the types of alcoholic beverages that are allowed to be sold under their license for consumption on the premises, except for distilled spirits, and Type-75 licensees may only sell to-go beer that they produce on their licensed premises. Some licenses are subject to a specific license condition prohibiting off-sale privileges. Notwithstanding this, in accordance with the Notice of Regulatory Relief (“Notice”) the Department issued on March 19, 2020, the Department will not be enforcing some of the statutory restrictions. As stated in the Notice (see Item 4), licensed bars and restaurants may sell any alcoholic beverages to-go that they are allowed to sell under their license for consumption on the premises, in manufacturer pre-package and pre-sealed containers. This includes distilled spirits (for those licenses allowed to sell distilled spirits) and, for Type-75 licenses, alcoholic beverages other than beer produced on the premises. In addition, the Department will not be enforcing any conditions that prohibit off-sale privileges or that restrict the hours of service (although the statutory prohibited hours will still be enforced; alcoholic beverages may not be sold between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. each day; see Notice, Item 7).

In addition to businesses that hold ABC licenses for bona fide eating places (restaurants; license types 41, 47, and 75), businesses that operate as bars (holding license types 40, 42, and 48) that have kitchen facilities and actually prepare meals on the licensed premises, may also sell alcoholic beverages to-go in the same manner that the Department has provided for restaurants (see Item 5 in the Notice). This means that any beer, wine, or distilled spirits (as applicable) may be sold in containers filled by the retailer as long as:

  1. The container is sealed with a secure lid or cap and in a manner designed to prevent consumption without the removal of the lid or cap;
  2. Such alcoholic beverages are only sold in conjunction with a bona fide meal prepared on the licensed premises for pick-up or delivery; and
  3. The required notice is provided.

The sealing of a lid with holes in it by some method that cannot be easily removed by a customer after the sale is acceptable.

It is the responsibility of the delivery person to verify the age of the customer purchasing the alcoholic beverages to ensure delivery is not made to underage persons. The licensee is ultimately responsible for the delivery of alcoholic beverages.